Monday, March 24, 2008

Weekend Off...and a Clear Favorite

Much to the amusement of our friends, Newmommy and I had a mini "vacation" to New York City this past weekend. I used the quotes around "vacation" (and, had I been talking to you in person, I would have done the "air quotes") as, technically, a trip to NYC is not a vacation to a Jerseyite. Still, it was a great time...had "lights" and "darks" at this bar, got a chance to finally see a movie in the theater (Borat was the last one Newmommy and I saw together), and, most importantly, got a chance to see this guy at a comedy club (no, not Larry David, the other guy, who was hysterical).

The end of the weekend comes, and we are reunited with Bud. Bud's face lit up when she saw us...and then, for the rest of the day, it was all about Mommy. Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Hey male provider, who the heck are you?

Now, I'm not surprised. Newmommy spends every day with her; and I only get weekends and a sliver of time on weekdays if I manage to catch a decent NJ Transit train home, and the train has no delays (ha!) Still, it's tough.

I don't want to come off as a complainer here...it's not like Bud doesn't get excited to see me. (Yes, I see the double negative...shut up.) The best part of my day (on the days Bud is awake) is when I get home and see Bud. Bud jumps up and screams "DADDY!" like fifty clowns, twenty Elmos and Dora the Explora herself came through the door. And, if I'm there when Bud wakes up, "Daddy" is usually her first word. So, I guess Bud's not really playing favorites. But it is hard to compete when you're competition is a woman who spends her entire day feeding and entertaining your child.

P.S. Finally, finally, finally...a new baseball season begins tomorrow. The Yankees don't start until Monday afternoon, but in the meantime, at least for tomorrow and at least in Japan, I'll be an Oakland fan. GO A's!

No comments: