Monday, October 16, 2006

Bjorn to be Wild

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me." - Grandpa in "The Simpsons": "Homerpalooza"

This past weekend was a weekend of firsts: first time I was alone for the day with Bud, first time I drove in the car with her (not including the ride home from the hospital), our first family outing (apple-picking), and, of course, the first time I donned the Baby Bjorn.

I always thought the Baby Bjorn looked strange- and it does. I really didn't want to wear this for the day, and when I tried it on, I was hoping it just "wouldn't work out," but the minute I put Bud in there, she smiled, closed her eyes and let out a relaxed coo. She obviously liked it, and she immediately won me over. So, I was finished. That's bad news...only one month old and she's already winning. My credit card is doomed!!

I'm walking around an apple orchard wearing a Baby Bjorn. This is how it starts. Then, I buy a fanny pack because it's "practical." I begin to like the gentle tunes of Kenny G. Dinner time gets earlier and earlier. So does bedtime. TV doesn't make sense anymore, so I start a Pinochle club while my wife plays Mah Jong. Suddenly, I'm living in Florida. Bud's kids come to visit and I tell a 75-minute story about how cheap the movies used to be a $20 a pop. My blog posts are all about my doctor's visits.

I don't mean to double up on the Simpsons quotes today, but they both sum it up so perfectly!

"I used to Rock 'N' Roll all night and party ev-er-y-day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I find half an hour a week in which to get funky." -Homer, same episode

No comments: