Saturday, March 10, 2007

Newdaddy's Puerto Rican Vacation

Sorry for my recent hiatus, but, as you may have guessed from my last post, we took our first family vacation this past week. Our destination was Puerto Rico and, although many people warned me that such a trip (flights, sort-of leaving the country, etc.) would be ambitious with a six-month old, it actually turned out to be pretty easy. I think this was due to the fact that six-month olds are very portable. Also, Bud was a champion on both flights...she was calm and happy (or asleep) the entire time. Our hotel was also extremely baby friendly.

Over the next week or so, I will regale you all with my vacation stories and witty observations. Let's get the ball rolling...

I could swear that Bud knew she was on vacation. Her mood was certainly different. Normally, she is a happy baby, and she smiles very often, but this past week, she was constantly smiling, laughing and making her high-pitched talk/squeal. True, this can be a function of her development...it may be time for her to begin communicating in this fashion. However, the marked change makes me think that would be too much of a coincidence.

Perhaps (and I would really hope this to be true) it was my presence. I see Bud a few hours each work day (if the timing works out), and only get to spend serious time with her on the weekends. I literally spent every waking minute with her this past week (well, her waking minutes...not mine.) Maybe extra time with daddy made her happy.

Maybe it wasn't necessarily daddy, but simply the constant attention. When Newmommy watches her during the day, she needs to leave her "alone" if she needs to do something. On vacation, Bud was never alone....one of us was always entertaining her.

It's interesting that a six-month old is psyched for vacation. I wonder if she gets the end-of-vacation blues like most of us. "Damn, vacation's over...I dread having to take my bottle on Monday and take a nap."

No comments: