Thursday, August 17, 2006

Baby Beastie Boys

Tonight, Newmommy and I had dinner with an old friend of mine from college who has an 11-month old. We get in his car (with child), and the CD player continues from wherever it left off on Mother Goose's Greatest Hits...or some children's CD. Apparently, he and his wife won't play anything else when the kid's around...and I know they are not alone.

I have been given many warnings about the irritating, repetitive children's music that I'm going to have to put up with....and have been told that I will know the lyrics to "The Wheels on the Bus" better than I knew the lyrics to "Parents Just Don't Understand" eighteen years ago.

But, why is this? Why don't parents just play a mix of kid's songs and whatever the parents enjoy? That way, the kid will learn to appreciate different types of music at an early age.

I imagine that some parents fear 'objectionable' radio material: either the music is too loud, too rough, too obscene for their kids. I can't say I buy that- there are plenty of kid-friendly radio stations.

Do parents play it because the kids demand it? Not at age 11 months! My guess, prediction, hope, is that if I favor Hot Tracks, XM Channel 46 to 'Wheels on the Bus', I may end up with a kid who can appreciate Pink Floyd....

...and then perhaps we can share a doobie.

P.S. I want to thank F-Train for spreading the word about Newdaddy. I urge my readers reader to check out his poker blog.

1 comment:

SoxLover said...

Damn good looking!