Thursday, August 10, 2006

Two Controversial (but Stupid!) Issues: Part 1

"MRS. MOORE: Is it a boy or a girl?"
"OBSTETRICIAN: Now, I think it's a little early to start imposing roles on it, don't you?"

- From Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life"

You may have noticed that in my last post, I referred to Bud as a "he." No, we have not found out the sex. I am using "he" as a gender-neutral pronoun. Apparently, that is no longer acceptable.

Some say you should replace "he" with "he or she"...that seems like a waste of breath. Alternating between "he" and "she" (a la Babycenter) is just plain confusing, and the use of "they", a plural pronoun, in place of "he," is grammatically incorrect.

Yet, whenever I refer to Bud as "he"...it is usually followed by "Oh, you know the sex?" or "it could be a she!"

According to tonight's conductor of the A train...and I am going to take this as historic fact...in 1984, the Minnesota legislature ordered all of the gender-specific text of their statutes to be amended to be gender neutral.....it took two years to complete!

So, I'm going to keep saying "he"...as in the end, it will be less costly on taxpayers.

Now, whether you should find out the sex of your baby...that's a controversial issue.

TO BE CONTINUED....

P.S. Congratulations to K.C. for sweeping the Red Sox!!!

No comments: