Sunday, November 19, 2006

BURP! Did you hear that? She said "burlap!"

I have a joke for you. Ready?

An elephant comes down and rubs your nose.

Nothing? Well, it's no wonder. There are only two ways you'd find that funny. First, if you were stoned to the bejesus belt. Second, if you were my daughter. She finds that joke hysterical, and I am pretty sure that I heard her first laugh last night.

I know what you're thinking...isn't 2 1/2 months early for a laugh? Yeah, it probably is...however, parents always exaggerate their kid's milestones. For example, ask parents of 1-3 year olds what their child's first word was. Most of them will say "mama" or "dada." C'mon, those are not really words...by that rationale, Bud already has quite an involved vocabulary: everything from "aauga" to "meha." But, no, I am not ready to sign her up for MENSA yet.

(Of course, "dada" is defined in the dictionary as: "A European artistic and literary movement (1916-1923) that flouted conventional aesthetic and cultural values by producing works marked by nonsense, travesty, and incongruity." Perhaps your child meant to begin a conversation about this...in which case, what the heck are you feeding him?)

OK, it wasn't a true laugh, but a slight giggle. But, in true parental form, I am marking down month 2, day 10 as "first laugh."

Look, if Meg Griffin can have her first drum solo at age one; anything is possible.

[Note: in spellchecking this post, I noticed that "dada" was picked up, but "mama" wasn't. Sexists.]

No comments: